A lot of Rain & a Stuck Tractor

Today is a lesson in farming.  Know when to not drive your tractor in to a pool of water. 

This morning I woke up around 4:30 a.m. to the sound of heavy rain. Yes, its been raining for days now, but this morning was different, it was pouring.  The first thought in my head was, I better go check the farm.  We live in town now and the farm is 5 minutes away.  So, I quietly got out of bed, put on my rain gear and drove to the farm in the dark.  When I got there, everything seemed fine. I walked the mile loop around the farm with my flashlight and from what little I could see, the fields looks good. No flooding.  Everything seemed great.  The fields are soaking up the rain nicely.  The ripping I did,  seems to be working.

Then I saw it, a huge pool of water building up on the south side of the farm.  Near the old storm drain.  The drain I altered by building a french drain on top of it.  I didn’t want all the water to just drain off our fields into this drain, washing away our top soil.  But now with a ton of rain and the  saturated fields, the water is pooling up quickly.

I decided I needed to do something. I jump in the tractor and headed to a rock pile I have in the front of the farm. I drove right through the pool of water, since it was on the way.  I stopped for a minute in front of the drain and turned on my lights. The water hadn’t reached the top yet.  I had time to go get some rocks and fill up some sediment filter bags (they are like sand bags) to filter the water before it made its way into the drain.

I drove on and picked up a load of rocks and headed back.  As I entered the pool of water again, something felt different. My 8000 pound tractor was sinking.  I looked down to see my front wheels disappearing into the water.  My stomach sank.  I felt ill.  What have I done.  

This feeling passed and I jumped out and went into action. I filled up some bags and placed them around the drain.  It looked good.  Then I turned my focus to my sinking tractor.  Lucky for me, my farm helpers were arriving for work. It was now 7a.m.  

They ran over and tried to free me. But after an hour of battling the water and mud, we decided to call it a day.  The tractor is going to have to live in this pool for now.  When the rain stops, we can pump out the water and try again.

Stay tuned…  and wish us luck. 

Adjani4 Comments